Monday 3 April 2023

American racist cop of Euclid Michael Amiott sentenced to 1 year community control for assault in 2017 traffic stop

 


American racist cop of Euclid Michael Amiott sentenced to 1 year community control for assault in 2017 traffic stop

Amiott was convicted last July on charge connected with a traffic stop involving a Black man Richard Hubbard dating back to August of 2017.

By Edward Era Barbacena


More than eight months after he was found guilty of assault and interfering with civil rights amid a trial focused on the conversation of excessive force, Euclid police officer Michael Amiott was back in court Friday for sentencing where a judge placed him on one year of non-reporting community control with a $1,000 fine.

That decision came after the judge initially announced a 90-day sentence, which he then suspended. The judge also said the punishment was only being attached to the assault charge.

“Given the length of time involved here, the court will use the assault as opposed to the violation of civil rights," he noted. "Not saying they weren’t violated, but given the length of time the court will use the assault charge.”

Friday's court hearing comes years after Amiott was charged in connection with an August 2017 traffic stop involving Richard Hubbard. The incident, which turned physical, was captured on camera.

He also addressed his disappointment with some elements from the trial.


RACIST COP STATEMENT

"One of the most shocking examples was a prosecution witness who testified that I was celebrating in the aftermath of this arrest," Amiott said. "They testified that I was high-fiving, fist-bumping and dabbing it up with other officers. There was five police cars on East 228th Street that day all with their dash cameras on and rolling. They all had overlapping field of view. I can be seen in front of one of those cameras the entire time I was on scene until I was transported to the hospital. Nothing remotely close to what the witness described happened with me or any other officer on the scene. They knew this and put the witness on the stand anyway. This was a use-of-force encounter that divided a community. It is something I have replayed in my head for the better half of a decade. This is not something I’ve ever celebrated. I take full responsibility that there was a failure on my behalf getting Mr. Hubbard."

In his closing comments, Amiott said he's not an advocate for or against use-of-force.

"Everything I did on that day was based on my training and experience," he said. "From here on out I’ll be an advocate for subject control training department-wide going forward so we can all be at our best when the time comes. I have a deep respect and love for the citizens and this community. I want to do my best to serve them. After all, that’s what they deserve.”


HUBBARD STATEMENT

Prior to the judge's decision on sentencing, Hubbard also took a moment to address the court.

“I appreciate the jury and the court for making the right decision," he said. "What Amiott did to me was wrong. He should receive the maximum sentence today. I’m still going through the suffering with anxiety, the temperament, the trauma and everything caused from this case. I’m ready to get it over, actually. Just coming back in here just like brings up everything.”











No comments:

Post a Comment

Catholic nuns reveal sexual abuse by slovenian priest close to Vatican

  Catholic nuns reveal sexual abuse by slovenian priest close to Vatican Pervert priest Marko Rupnik forced Gloria Branciani and Mirjam Kova...