Monday 9 October 2023

'Predatory paedophile' sexually abused young girls to satisfy 'depraved' urges

 



'Predatory paedophile' sexually abused young girls to satisfy 'depraved' urges

Gary Morgan, 59, of Newport, targeted his two victims during the 1980s and 1990s

By Edward Era Barbacena 


A predatory paedophile sexually abused young girls for his "own depraved sexual urges". He left his victims scared of potential violence and thinking they would not be believed if they were to report the assaults.

Gary Morgan, 59, of Newport, targeted his two victims during the 1980s and 1990s. The abuse involved him touching one victim's naked genitalia as well as her chest and her bottom.

A sentencing hearing at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court heard the defendant stopped abusing the girl after she shouted: "No" as he attempted to touch her again. In his sentencing remarks. Recorder Dyfed Thomas said: "You pathetically apologised and said you thought she liked it. She was scared because nobody said no to you but she as a child was brave enough to do so."

Morgan sexually assaulted the second victim on two occasions, the first of which involved him pinning her arms against her side, forcing her legs open, and pressing his body up against her. This happened a second time on a later date when he pushed her down, pinned her, and pressed himself up against her.

Decades after the abuse the victims contacted the police and Morgan faced a trial. He denied the offences and claimed the victims were lying but he was found guilty of six offences of indecent assault. The defendant, of Jackson Court, has no relevant previous convictions.

In a victim personal statement read out to the court by prosecutor Nigel Fryer the first victim said: "As a child I was constantly scared and recall feeling physical pain. This was due to the trauma.... I was worried disclosing what had happened would lead to violence. I have had to live with this since I was a child and I continue to live with this. It became a learnt behaviour.

"I find it difficult to ask anybody for help. I became a destructive teenager and lost trust in authority and adults. The abuse impacted my education and I could have done so much better in school if I didn't have to deal with this.... I suffer with nightmares. I constantly feel guilty and responsible for the way other people feel. I feel guilty for not saying something sooner as I could have prevented other people being abused by this man."

The second victim said: "I struggle to get my head around everything that happened to me with this man. As a child I was scared – scared of what this man was capable of and what it would lead to. When I think about what this man has done to me I automatically get emotional – it has stayed with me throughout my life. I was afraid of him – he made me feel weak and helpless and when the incidents happened I was in shock and so vulnerable."

In mitigation defence barrister Thomas Stanway said his client was "living a chaotic lifestyle" at the time of the offences and had difficulties with alcohol but had "turned his life around" after beginning a relationship with his current partner of 23 years. He said the defendant had been in consistent employment in the construction industry and was a "family man" and "hardworking".

Sentencing, Recorder Thomas said: "You are a sexual offender who has been convicted of being a predatory paedophile whose offences were opportunistic in nature. You used children for your own depraved sexual urges."

Morgan was sentenced to a total of seven years imprisonment. He was also made subject to sex offender notification requirements and a restraining order indefinitely and a sexual harm prevention order for 15 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catholic nuns reveal sexual abuse by slovenian priest close to Vatican

  Catholic nuns reveal sexual abuse by slovenian priest close to Vatican Pervert priest Marko Rupnik forced Gloria Branciani and Mirjam Kova...